Work has now finished on a new corner entrance and lobby to offices in the West End. The building houses the UK headquarters of our client, Redevco and other tenants. The offices sit over the flagship Gap store on Oxford Street with an entrance on the corner of James St and Barrett St, overlooking St Christophers Place. The new design replaces the former copper clad projecting box dating from the 1960's with a contemporary form sympathetic to the host building which is typical of commerical architecture of the 1950's. the new glazed box and enhnaced volume to the reception hall creates more visibilty into the double height lobby and a more appropriate address for a prominent corner in the West End.
The Glazed box element consists of fritted low iron glass, with internal glass fins and a curved steel casing framing the glass. The mitred corner beneath reveals the entrance into the building, which has been scaled back, introducing a simplified glass double door entranceway and a floor to ceiling window where the existing revolving door is currently. The existing tiled façade at ground level will be replaced with Limestone cladding, in line with the existing Portland Stone above.
A backlit timber cladding feature wall behind the reception desk leads your eye up to the double height space. The reception desk itself is a micro concrete finish and backlit walnut panel. Above the lifts, warm, tadelakt panels extend to the top of the space emphasising the tall reception space and the journey to the floors above
The stairway up to the mezzanine level is simplified, with a micro concrete finish and a walnut tread detail leading up. Alongside this, new timber railings to match the treads and decorative steel balusters replace the existing stainless steel and glass railings.
The light feature is the original 1960's fittings reconditioned relamped and brought back into the space.